Advanced Search
Today is Wednesday, Jul 18, 2018
Outdoor Church pastor leads by example in reaching sportsmen
Sharing, salvations mark students' World Cup witness
Ouachita fullback achieves greatest match-up off the field
Olympian, World War II veteran dies at 97
HBU adding sand volleyball in 2016
Home BPNews Subscribe to BP Tell A Friend Contact Us
Deacons advance in ACC tourney
Friday, Nov 9, 2001
By Staff    

WINSTON-SALEM, NC (BP)--Wake Forest sophomore Alena Thom netted the deciding penalty kick to advance the women's soccer team past No. 15 Clemson in the fourth and final ACC Championship quarterfinal match Thursday night at Spry Stadium.

After playing to a 1-1 tie in 90 minutes of regulation and two 15-minute overtimes, the fifth-seeded Demon Deacons topped the fourth-seeded Tigers 4-3 in a penalty kick shootout to advance to the semifinals.

"We had additional practice on penalty kicks every day this week," Wake Forest head coach Tony da Lu said. "We felt comfortable with them and Regan was ready. It was a great team effort. Roeck had a great game. We played her up front, then moved her to right back, then to midfield and after Winstead popped her shoulder out, she (Roeck) moved back to sweeper. \

"Taggart was out all week because of her neck injury. To play 90 minutes with people hanging all over her, they mark her so close, it's remarkable. That cross was phenomenal. She was going away, falling away, and she gave Roeck time to get under the ball. I'm proud of Taggart and the effort she gave."

Deliah Arrington scored for Clemson in the 22nd minute when she took a pass from Tricia Williams on a breakaway and buried it in the upper left corner.

Wake Forest fought back, taking 10 second-half shots and allowing only two. In the 61st minute Joline Charlton found Emily Taggart in the corner, who crossed the ball back into the middle where Stacy Roeck banged in the game-tying goal for the Demon Deacons.

The score remained 1-1 for the rest of regulation and after two 15-minute sudden victory overtime periods, the match ended as a 1-1 tie. Five players from each team lined up to take one penalty kick each on their opponent's goalkeeper to determine who would advance to the semifinals. Clemson missed one and Wake Forest goalkeeper Erin Regan stopped another, while the Demon Deacons made four of their five PKs, to send the Tigers home.

Wake Forest now stands 9-7-2 on the season and Clemson's record is 13-4-1. The Demon Deacons will face the top-seeded, undefeated, top-ranked and two-time defending national champions North Carolina on Friday, Nov. 9 at 8 p.m. in the ACC Championship semifinals.


[ Back to Previous Page ]

Email This Story To a Friend
Enter your friend's email address:

Bookmark this Page!
 Related Stories
Williams shines for Wake Forest

Deacons snag third straight, Tar Heels tell their side of the story and quarterback gives kudos

Wake Forest wallops Latvian team

Deacons advance in ACC tourney

Demon Deacons breeze by Elon, 3-0

Faster than a speeding bullet

Wake shuts out Appalachian State, 6-0

Deacons look to improve 4-4 record

Wake men's golf finishes second

Demon Deacons roll over Tulane

No. 1 Wake edges Duke

Demon Deacons lose heartbreaker to Duke

Wake downs UNC Greensboro in double overtime

Roeck named to soccer America's team of the week

Underclassmen lead Demon Deacons' attack

Wake volleyball hosts UNC Greensboro

Wake Forest looks for weekend wins

Former Deacon makes MLB debut

Maryland trips Wake Forest, 27-20

Demon Deacons upset Clemson, 3-2

Copyright (c) 2001 - 2018 Southern Baptist Convention
Terms of Use
901 Commerce Street
Nashville, TN 37203
Tel: 615.782.8615
Fax: 615.782.8736